Understandably, as a small business owner, you are singularly focused on increasing sales and servicing customers. But with growth often comes the need to hire – and along with that, the burden of complying with complex federal, state and even local employment laws.
It’s a burden that can be tempting to ignore, until your business is faced with a government investigation or an employee lawsuit. And then it’s too late.
This workshop addresses five potentially crippling HR mistakes small-business employers make every day:
- Treating independent contractors as if they are employees
- Not properly verifying employees’ eligibility to work in the U.S. (I-9)
- Not paying employees correctly
- Practicing or allowing ‘accidental’ discrimination or harassment
- Not displaying mandatory employee postings
We’ll explain the related regulations in simple terms and provide practical tips to help you comply.